Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Real Stories: Carla & Darlene

These are the stories of two real women who found help at the Darlene Bishop Home for Life. Their names have been changed.

Carla - "Growing up in an abusive environment, a dysfunctional way of life became my norm. This triggered a chain of self-destructive events and soon I began walking down a path of mutiny and rebellion. I became the definition of a defiant and "out of control" teen. Desperate for attention and the need to be loved, I became drawn to the wrong crowd and entered into many damaging relationships. Shortly after turning 18, I became pregnant. Only after hitting the point of complete desperation and on the verge of having an abortion, I finally accepted help. When I arrived at the Home for Life, I felt lifeless and drained. In the seven months of my stay I have surrendered my life to Jesus Christ and His plan for me. The tears shed washed away the feelings of guilt and shame being harbored towards my past. With newfound confidence, I have currently finished my second term in college and am on the Merit list with a 4.0 GPA. I'm very optimistic about my future with my child and family. I am very grateful for the opportunity to come to such a remarkable place. It has been a blessing from God Himself. When I have my baby, I will be returning home to my family. I will never forget the memories made and the moments spent at the Home for Life. It has truly been an unforgettable and lifesaving experience; one of which I wouldn't trade for the world!"

Darlene - "In August my daughter was born. Thanks to the Home for Life, we've made it thus far. I left an abusive marriage [last year] and found out a month later that I was pregnant. At first, I stayed with a friend, and then eventually went to a domestic violence shelter. I found the Home for Life when my case manager suggested that I look into a program like this. At five months pregnant, I took a bus to the Home for Life. I couldn't be happier. I grew up in abusive homes and I don't want to have that repeated for my daughter. She and I are here to allow God to work in our lives and bring healing."

Many maternity homes offer discipleship and spiritual guidance, help the pregnant woman pursue her education, and have support groups and life skills training. Would your pregnant daughter benefit from the structured environment of a residential program? Talk to your daughter and see if she would be open to this type of help. We keep a list of maternity homes in this other post. With your daughter, check them out. If she is interested in some of the programs but doesn't want to live at the maternity home, see if your local pregnancy help center can offer her the educational and support programs.

No comments: