Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Birthmother's story

This is the true story of a real person, brought to you by the National Council For Adoption.

I chose adoption because, while I loved my daughter with all of my heart, I felt she deserved a better life than I could offer her. I was only a freshman in college when I became pregnant, and my relationship with the birthfather was not good. When I told him I was pregnant, he pressured me into getting an abortion. When I said I wanted to make an adoption plan, he threatened me by saying he wouldn't sign the papers. Although he ultimately agreed to place our daughter for adoption, his resistance in the beginning was significant. I knew that any man who would try as hard as he did to end my daughter's life didn't deserve to be a part of it.

In spite of his opposition, I continued the pregnancy. I had to leave school for two semesters, though I later returned. It was an extremely challenging time, but as my daughter grew inside of me, I knew I had made the right decision.

As I researched homes in which to place my daughter, I felt a tremendous sense of empowerment. I knew that the "perfect family" didn't exist, but there were some wonderfully committed couples who would do their best to raise my daughter in a loving environment, one in which she would flourish.

I was giving my daughter a chance in life, and as her birthmother, that was the greatest gift I could give.

======================

You may find it helpful to read the chapters titled "Should She Make an Adoption Plan?", "Should We Adopt the Baby?", "Should They Marry?" and "Should She Parent Alone?" in our book "How To Survive Your Teen's Pregnancy."

November is National Adoption Month. Take time to research adoption with your pregnant daughter, along with single parenting and marriage. Then, no matter which of these roads she chooses, she can feel confident that the decision was made with care and thought instead of off-handedly. When things are tough in the future (because life can be hard no matter what we choose), she can remind herself that she actively chose her road instead of saying "I wish I had considered ______."

No comments: