Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jennifer's story

The following real story is exerpted from "Wanted: Someone to share the truth", an article written by Jeff Meredith, in the Care Net Report, Winter/Spring 2009. Copyright is held by Care Net.

Jennifer Dobbs is passionately pro-life because she understands firsthand the devastating emotional consequences of abortion. They almost destroyed her life. "When I was just 15," she says, "I learned I was pregnant. I didn't know what to do, so I asked several of the adults in my life for guidance. Every one of them told me to get an abortion, because my child wasn't really a baby." I knew that wasn't true," she adds. "But how could I argue with grownups?" Not long after, she terminated her pregnancy. But that was never the "choice" she wanted to make. "What I wanted was the truth. I knew my baby was alive. But there was no one there to share that with me."

One year later, Jennifer found herself pregnant again. This time, she refused to have an abortion. She married the child's father and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. But the joys of motherhood – while genuine – were overwhelmed by the emotional pain and guilt she carried from the abortion. But in the midst of those struggles, God moved. When her daughter was four years old, "The Lord met me where I was, in my sadness and sin. He washed away the guilt and shame I couldn't deal with," Jennifer says. Then the Lord spoke clearly to her: "He wanted me to help others receive that same forgiveness for past abortion – and speak the truth about that procedure no one had shared with me."

No comments: