Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why do teenagers have kids?

A few weeks ago, Time Magazine met with teens in South Bronx, NY, to find out why they think teenagers have children.

The article notes that "the stigma of single motherhood" is mostly gone.

Many of the teens interviewed "saw teen motherhood as a wonderful thing, but failed to appreciate..the cost until they had been mothers for a while."

Talk to your kids about these quotes.

Straight from the teens, on why they have kids:

17-yr-old girl: "I decided to have kids because it's just so amazing to watch them grow. It's an exciting feeling to teach them. I also love the fact that they will always love me no matter what."

Talk to your kids about how amazing it was to watch them grow and how exciting it was to teach them. Also talk to them about your expectations of whether they would always love you, no matter what. Did your children express that love to you in the way you expected? How is it unrealistic to expect babies, toddlers, children and teens to express unconditional love to mother at all times?

19-year-old father: "Becoming a dad feels great. I feel like it is a good blessing. I love to see my daughter's smile everyday! I feel my child's mother and I will be together for a long time, and may even get married. We don't live together but we are working on getting our own apartment. Since I became a dad most of my friends have kids on the way and they are still in good relationships. Could even get married. Married or not, it doesn't matter, you can provide the right love and more to a baby. I feel having a kid at a young age can help you become wiser and mature, and want to be more successful. However it depends on the person because if you are a teen who doesn't do anything for yourself you are not ready."

What does your pregnant daughter thing about this quote from a teen father? Does your daughter expect that being a mother as a teen will make her wiser and more mature? Does it make her want to be more successful? Does her baby's father act more wise and mature now that he is a father? Does he want to be more successful now?

Want to talk about this post or other issues? Write a comment, or join us on Facebook!

No comments: