Monday, March 14, 2011

Real Story: Nikki Parsons

Nikki Parsons tells her story:

She was 17 when she got a positive pregnancy test on Christmas Eve. She says she was scared to death. She was contemplating abortion, but "I knew in my heart I couldn't abort my child, and after seeing the ultrasound my decision was clear."

She kept her pregnancy hidden for three months. "My biggest obstacle was my own thoughts of shame and the betrayal of close friends. For many nights, I cried myself to sleep feeling so alone."

When she finally told everyone, her family and ex-boyfriend (father of the baby) were supportive, even though her mother cried and her father expressed his stress with chain-smoking.

The baby's father begged her not to abort but to give birth and let him raise the child if she didn't want to. She talked to him a few times, but had very little to do with him during her pregnancy. But after an emergency C-section birth, the baby's father re-entered her life to stay.

"Four weeks after bringing my daughter home from the hospital, I started my senior year in high school. My parents and boyfriend's mother would watch my daughter during the day while I was in class. Three years later, we married and now we have two more wonderful children. I am now 30 years old and am in the process of completing my bachelor's degree in social work. Life has not been easy, having many trials and tribulations along the way. My best advice to teenage mothers is never to give up hope on their dreams and love your children with all your heart because they are a blessing no matter what the circumstances."

Talk to your pregnant daughter about Nikki's story. What were her feelings when she got a positive pregnancy test? Did she think about aborting her child? What does she think of Nikki's advice to love her child with all her heart because children are a blessing no matter the circumstances? While she was waiting to tell everyone about being pregnant, what were her fears of how people would react? What are your daughter's plans for finishing school? Does your daughter want to marry the baby's father?

You may find it helpful to read the chapter “Should They Marry?” in our book “How To Survive Your Teen’s Pregnancy“.

Want to talk about this post or other issues? Write a comment, or join us on Facebook!

No comments: