Thursday, October 16, 2008

Talking about sex

Parents sometimes ask "I was a bit "wild" in the area of sex when I was a teen. So now I feel like a hypocrite talking to my teen about sex. What should I do?"

Watch this short video answer by Roland Warren, President of the National Fatherhood Initiative.

I love what he says:

Hypocrisy is when you tell your kid not to do something that you’re still doing. So if you’re smoking marijuana, and you tell your kid, “don’t smoke marijuana,” you’re a hypocrite.

Growth is where you tell your kid not to do something that you once did that you learned from and that you found was inappropriate.

So when you’re having your discussion with your kids about sex, for example, this is one where, frankly, you might have growth in this area. What you want to make sure that you do with them is help them avoid the experiences that you had that were inappropriate. That’s what we do all the time.

No comments: