Monday, August 31, 2009

HELLP Syndrome

A recent news story titled "Miracle baby born months early survives against tremendous odds" tells the story of 24-year old mother Tira and her baby (Brianna) who was born at about 24 weeks of pregnancy. When Brianna was born at about 24 weeks of gestation, she weighed 13 ounces. She stayed in the hospital for nearly five months until she weighed about 5.5 pounds.

Tira, the mother, explained "I was having really bad pressure in my chest and pains, and I let it go for about two or three days and then we went to the hospital and they told me that was my liver shutting down, my blood pressure was skyrocket and if I would have waited 12 more hours they would have lost me and her both."

The symptoms of HELLP include:
Headache
Nausea and vomiting that continues to get worse
Upper abdominal pain
Vision problems
For more information on HELLP, click here.

Conditions like this are why your pregnant daughter needs to get prenatal care as early in her pregnancy as possible and to continue with prenatal care throughout her pregnancy. We talk about the importance of prenatal care in the chapters titled "First steps to take" and "The doctor appointment" in our book "How To Survive Your Teen's Pregnancy."

No comments: